Unicorn doesn't reload the app after the HUP signal

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Sat Oct 2 04:13:50 EDT 2010

Rubén Dávila <ruben.grunge84 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks, I've experimented a problem while deploying my app, I've
> sent the HUP signal to the master process, I've checked everything is
> ok: new master and workers are spawned and the old ones are
> killed(I've checked the PIDs), but the new code deployed isn't
> reflected in the living site, so I've to stop and start again unicorn
> in order to see the new changes, here is my unicorn config:
>
> rails_env = ENV['RAILS_ENV'] || 'production'
> worker_processes (rails_env == 'production' ? 3 : 1)
> preload_app true
> timeout 30
> listen File.expand_path(File.join(__FILE__,
> "../../tmp/sockets/unicorn.sock")), :backlog => 2048

Hi Rubén,

Are you using cap or something else that makes symlinks during
deployment?  It could've been started in an old release directory while
it didn't have the "current" symlink pointing to it.  You can work
around this by putting:

  working_directory "/path/to/app/current"

in your config file.

<snip>