Unicorn 0.97.0 old master is never dying

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Thu Mar 18 04:40:22 EDT 2010

ghazel at gmail.com wrote:
> I upgraded to Unicorn 0.97.0 from 0.96.1. Unicorn starts fine, but
> sending a USR2 to the 0.97.0 master launches a new master and all the
> workers, but never kills the old master. The new workers retry binding
> their admin TCP ports forever. Killing all the Unicorns and
> downgrading to returns peace to the forest.
>
> Here are the before_fork and after_fork from my config/unicorn.rb:
> http://codepad.org/5LyVtyq7
>
> Did something change with the Unicorn master in 0.97.0 that would
> require a change in my config, or is this a bug?
>
> -Greg

Hi Greg,

Odd, are you passing the pid file path via the command-line?

I don't see the pid directive in the config file you posted there, so
there was nothing to check with File.exists?.  Are you using `unicorn'
or `unicorn_rails'?

There were some startup changes in 0.97.0, but I couldn't reproduce what
you're seeing with 'pid'.  That said, I'm not sure if that method of
killing old masters in the after_fork is very common.