[Mongrel] scaling unicorn

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 13:30:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> snacktime <snacktime at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interested in some feeback on this (does it sound right?), or maybe
>> this might be of interest to others.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I think you meant to post this to the mongrel-unicorn at rubyforge.org
> list, not mongrel-users at rubyforge.org :>

Yes, not sure how that got mixed up...

> That's "8 way xeon" _before_ hyperthreading, right?  Which family of
> Xeons are you using, the Pentium4-based crap or the awesome new ones?

Two quad core Nehalems on each server.

> How much memory is each Unicorn worker using for your app?

Undoubtedly this is lower then it will be under a real load, but under
our load tests they stabilize at around 160mb.

> Do you have actual performance numbers you're able to share?
> Mean/median request times/rates would be very useful.  If your requests
> run very quickly, you may be limited by contention with the accept()
> syscall on the listen socket, too.

I had two different types of requests to test that I did in varying
combinations.  One takes on average 600ms, and the other 40ms.  98% of
our requests will be the faster one.  Deviations were really low.

> I assume you're using nginx as the proxy, is this with Unix domain
> sockets or TCP sockets?  Unix domain sockets should give a small
> performance over TCP if it's all on the same box.

Yes nginx with domain sockets.

Chris