Forking off the unicorn master process to create a background worker

Russell Branca chewbranca at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:55:54 EDT 2010

Hello Eric,

Sorry for the delayed response, with the combination of being sick and
heading out of town for a while, this project got put on the
backburner. I really appreciate your response and think its a clean
solution for what I'm trying to do. I've started back in getting the
job queue working this week, and will hopefully have a working
solution in the next day or two. A little more information about what
I'm doing, I'm trying to create a centralized resque job queue server
that each of the different applications can queue work into, so I'll
be using redis behind resque for storing jobs and what not, which
brings me an area I'm not sure of the best approach on. So when we hit
the job queue endpoint in the rack app, it spawns the new worker, and
then immediately returns the 200 ok started background job message,
which cuts off communication back to the job queue. My plan is to save
a status message of the result of the background task into redis, and
have resque check that to verify the task was successful. Is there a
better approach for returning the resulting status code with unicorn,
or is this a reasonable approach? Thanks again for your help.

-Russell