[ANN] unicorn 0.990.0 - inching towards 1.0

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Wed Jun 9 14:22:45 EDT 2010

Alexander Simonov <alex at simonov.me> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> One question: it's a normal state if i start rails app without preload
> and after Gem.refresh all works go down by exception from Ge.refresh
> and master process all time trying reup they.  And it's go to
> recursion. I know it's issue of people who start app, but in any case
> it's must be exception for stop of master process. Is i check code
> when starts workers and if we have preload_app false method run
> build_app!.  If we have preload_app true - then we check it before
> start worker.

Hi Alexander,

I hope I'm understanding you correctly, so you want the master process
to die if you've misdeployed or misconfigured your app?

This is one of those sharp edges of Unicorn that might be pointless
to protect against with preload_app=false...

The general rule is that you shouldn't be mucking around with Gem (or
any other library) installations on a production server unless you're
deploying.  And whenever you're deploying, you would always be checking
to see you've deployed correctly anyways, so you can detect any screwups
in the installation/deployment.

Let me know if that makes sense.