Suggestion for reload action (USR2)

Eric Wong normalperson at
Wed Jan 20 15:58:18 EST 2010

Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at> wrote:
> El Miércoles, 20 de Enero de 2010, Eric Wong escribió:
> > While the patch was not needed for this case, inline patches are strongly
> > preferred here.  Inline patches are far easier to read, reply-to and
> > apply than attachments.
> Sure but what about the fixed 80 columns of a mail?
> Of course I can generate the mail without such constrain, but it doesn't look
> very cool :)

For mail, the soft limit is actually closer/around to 72 columns because
we take quoting into consideration.  But properly configured mailers
shouldn't care nor enforce this (git-send-email(1) does not).;a=blob;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches
has some good notes on various mailers (I usually use mutt to send
one-off patches and git send-email for a series).