listen backlog

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Thu Dec 2 21:39:19 EST 2010

ghazel at gmail.com wrote:
> I found this thread
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-unicorn/2009-September/000031.html
> after googling for the same error located in my nginx error log.
>
> Is there some way to discover the current queue length of the backlog?
> Increasing the maximum size to 2048 "worked" for me as well, but
> obviously clients sit in the queue for a long time. If I could monitor
> queue length I could get some idea of when I have insufficient unicorn
> workers before the delay gets very high or requests fail.

If you're using Linux, you can use Raindrops[1] to interrogate
via inet_diag or parse /proc/net/{tcp,unix} yourself.

You can run Raindrops separate/standalone script:
http://git.bogomips.org/cgit/raindrops.git/tree/examples/linux-tcp-listener-stats.rb

Or use it as middleware (see webpage):
http://raindrops.bogomips.org/

git clone git://git.bogomips.org/raindrops