Unicorn and HAProxy, 500 Internal errors after checks

Pierre oct at fotopedia.com
Wed Dec 1 12:14:37 EST 2010

Dear Eric,

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> Hi Pierre, HAProxy should be configured to send proper HTTP checks and
> not just TCP connection checks, the problem will go away then.

I understood this could be fixed this way and we will probably do that
soon. However, I think this is also the responsibility of Unicorn not
to reply anything when there's no request or at least log the error
somewhere :)

> Also, I
> can not recommend HAProxy unless you're certain all your clients are on
> a LAN and can be trusted to never trickle uploads nor reading large

While I understand that uploads are very complicated to handle on the
stack (even nginx can be confused at upload sometimes), HAProxy proved
it was very good at managing tons of connections and high volume
traffic from the Internet. All the more so as it allows a very high
level of redundancy at a very small cost that cannot be achieved
simply otherwise. Do you have any pointers about your worrying
non-recommendation of HAProxy ?

As far as I'm concerned, I've used HAProxy in worldwide web context of
website serving up to 25 Millions pages with no problem, ever.

Thanks again for your support, :)
--
Pierre <oct at fotopedia.com>
Server Shepherd at http://www.fotopedia.com/