synchronous restart

Jamie Wilkinson jamie at tramchase.com
Tue Aug 31 16:08:52 EDT 2010

On Aug 31, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Clifton King wrote:

> If the new master process
> fails at booting, you can tail the unicorn.stdout/err.log files to see
> why.

I should clarify... the above is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. i.e. how do you know if your new master failed to boot unless you are actively tailing the logs?

It is extremely infrequent that our unicorns fail to start, but when it does we sometimes don't notice for quite some time. Our unicorns also restart so quickly that it is not an issue to do the restarts synchronously during deployment and trade speed for peace of mind

I will probably just replace our basic `kill -USR2` with a small script that sends the signal and doesn't exit until the pidfile handover is complete. I'll be sure to share my results in case anyone else might find this useful.

-jamie

http://jamiedubs.com | http://fffff.at