Unicorn and home_run

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Thu Aug 26 00:33:39 EDT 2010

Jeremy Evans <jeremyevans0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> > Yeah, I figured using the "home_run" wrapper would be less than
> > ideal since it would get lost during exec upgrades and newer
> > versions of home_run wouldn't get picked up the same way it'd get
> > picked up in a system install.
> The home_run wrapper works by modifying the environment (RUBYLIB and
> RUBYOPT). Does the environment get reset during exec upgrades?

The environment is untouched by default.  I meant Unicorn can only see
$0 as 'unicorn' or 'unicorn_rails', and never 'home_run', so the
version changes can't be picked up.

> You are correct that newer versions would not get picked up, as it's
> going to hard code a specific gem version.

> > Thanks.  I'd be eager to hear how it works out since this could be a
> > popular library very soon :) Is there a home_run mailing list I could
> > follow?
> I haven't set up a mailing list for it (you are the first person to
> ask about one), but I've been hanging out by myself in #home_run on
> freenode (IRC).

Ah, I've mostly given up on IRC since I get distracted easily or
everybody pops in at different times and lack of threading makes it hard
to follow.  I much prefer the asynchronous nature of email along with
its ease of archival, search, and patch exchange.  For intense
emergencies where money is lost for every second something is awry, yes,
IRC is great, but I do Free Software development at a much more relaxed
pace :)