Unicorn and home_run

Jeremy Evans jeremyevans0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 10:46:08 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> Jeremy Evans <jeremyevans0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Are you starting it with "home_run unicorn_rails" or did you install
>> > it system-wide?
>>
>> Clifton told me that was working for him.  One of the reasons it may
>> work where the other way didn't is that in addition to setting up the
>> load path, it also requires the library up front.
>
> Yeah, I figured using the "home_run" wrapper would be less than
> ideal since it would get lost during exec upgrades and newer
> versions of home_run wouldn't get picked up the same way it'd get
> picked up in a system install.

The home_run wrapper works by modifying the environment (RUBYLIB and
RUBYOPT). Does the environment get reset during exec upgrades?

You are correct that newer versions would not get picked up, as it's
going to hard code a specific gem version.

>> I think this problem is solved in the master branch.
>
> Thanks.  I'd be eager to hear how it works out since this could be a
> popular library very soon :) Is there a home_run mailing list I could
> follow?

I haven't set up a mailing list for it (you are the first person to
ask about one), but I've been hanging out by myself in #home_run on
freenode (IRC).

Jeremy