unicorn behind apache with file uploads

Surendra Singhi singhi.surendra at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 11:50:33 EDT 2010

Hi,

For one of our apps we switched to unicorn from mongrel.
The unicorn server use to run behind an apache with timeout of 300sec,
as sometime the customer may do a large file upload.

After we made the switch we started getting lots of
Unicorn::ClientShutdown occurred in photos#flash_upload
bytes_read=2762663 (pr some other number)
We were not able to recreate it in our tests, but support was getting
customer emails, that the files upload is not working.
It finally forced us to switch back to mongrel.

I know a fully buffering reverse proxy like nginx is advised as
reverse proxy for unicorn, but apache has been serving us well, and we
don't want to change it.
Any idea what can be going wrong, or why was unicorn throwing these errors?

Thanks!
--
Surendra