Explanation of how Unicorn returns error code when daemonized and cannot bind the address

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Apr 15 13:17:10 EDT 2010

Hi Eric, as you remember you did an improvement in Unicorn in order it
to return an error code (maybe 1) when running daemonized and trying
to bind in a wrong address (i.e. a non local address).

As far as I remember you implemented a pipe between daemon and master
process, so if the master returns error it sends such result to the
daemon process and it also ends with error. This is more than useful
and required when handling init script with HeartBeat and similar
software in which the return code of the init script must be correct
(it just can return 0 if it has started correctly).

If I'm wrong, could you detail it a bit please? I want to propose the
same improvement in other project in which I participate.

Really thanks a lot.

Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>