multi server failover setup

Eric Wong normalperson at
Mon Oct 26 17:42:54 EDT 2009

Chris Wanstrath <chris at> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Dylan Stamat <dstamat at> wrote:
> > I noticed that Mr. Wanstrath is using UDS in his deployment here:
> >
> > Wondering if they're running with the same or similar strategy as your
> > suggestion?
> We're currently not using this strategy. Perhaps in the future, but
> currently we're still trying to completely isolate the various
> services within our app - when nginx or Unicorn chokes presently, they
> all do. Once that's fixed we'll begin looking into this or something
> similar.

By Unicorn choking you mean something in your app chokes, right? :)
Is this something adding fail_timeout=0 in nginx can fix/workaround?

Not sure where nginx itself would choke besides uncached disk reads
or somehow writing a lot of logs.

That said I myself haven't gotten a chance to test that setup I proposed
for a while (except the nginx fail_timeout=0 part, I've gotten folks
running with that for ages now).