unicorn, rails, and symlinked deployment

Michael Guterl mguterl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:47:35 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> Michael Guterl <mguterl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> cd ~/public_html/rm/current
>> unicorn_rails -D -E production -c config/unicorn.rb
>> I determined the -c config/unicorn.rb was the problem.  If I change it to:
>> unicorn_rails -D -E production -c ~/public_html/rm/current/config/unicorn.rb
>> everything works fine.
> Hmm, maybe the config file path shouldn't be expanded then.  Especially
> since it's only specified in the command-line.  /me ponders a bit...

I don't mean to hijack my own thread, but the problem seems to be
closely related.  My application code is not being reloaded, when I
send HUP to the unicorn master process.

I get the following output in my log:

reloading config_file=/home/deploy/public_html/rm/current/config/unicorn.rb
Refreshing Gem list
done reloading config_file=/home/deploy/public_html/rm/current/config/unicorn.rb
reaped #<Process::Status: pid=7720,exited(0)> worker=0
reaped #<Process::Status: pid=7718,exited(0)> worker=3
listening on addr= fd=6
worker=0 ready
listening on addr= fd=6
worker=3 ready
reaped #<Process::Status: pid=7721,exited(0)> worker=1
reaped #<Process::Status: pid=7717,exited(0)> worker=2
listening on addr= fd=7
worker=1 ready
listening on addr= fd=6
worker=2 ready

My unicorn config is here: http://gist.github.com/238167

I am using Rails 2.3.2 (shame, shame, I know), but there are areas of
incompatibility we cannot currently fix.

If there is anything else I can provide to help, please let me know.

Best regards,
Michael Guterl