rainbows for sleepy/lethargic apps

Dylan Stamat dstamat at elctech.com
Mon Nov 16 14:30:44 EST 2009

I'm working on a project that has very bad application performance, specifically, tons of long running requests due to view and (specifically) database contention.

While I haven't tested our Unicorn setup under load yet, tweak backlog counts, etc... I'm wondering if I'd be better off giving Rainbows! a shot?
In the Rainbows! AppPool diagram, I'm having a hard time understanding the N:P relationship.  When the P threshold is met, what happens to N (the client)?

Also, with both Unicorn/Rainbows!, is there a explicit timeout number set on the clients (and how does that differ between Unicorn/Rainbows!)?
For instance, in our Nginx config, I have proxy_buffering turned on, with proxy_read_timeout and proxy_send_timeout's, set pretty high.

Lastly... ¡You rock Eric!