Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Mon Jul 6 19:16:46 EDT 2009

Paul Sponagl <paul at sponagl.de> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> the Featurelist sounds great !
> I was using qrp for a long time and now i am eagerly awaiting a
> production ready release of unicorn :)
> Btw. I tried it on OS-X with -l /tmp/thin.0.sock and it took a while for
> nginx to spit out the page...
> ... (60: Operation timed out) while reading upstream, client:,
> server: w..., request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://unix
> :/tmp/thin.0.sock:/" ...
> but finally it appeared  (for now it is not development ready for me ;)
> But this evening i'll give it a try with tcp sockets.

Weird.  I'm doubtful TCP sockets would solve your problems but let me
know if it fixes it.  UNIX and TCP sockets follow exactly the same code
paths once the server is running so I'm not sure what could be the issue
(especially since you're sending a body-less GET request).  Maybe OSX
has some weird rules/bugs with UNIX sockets (I've heard of issues with
FIFOs on OSX), but I don't have access to an OSX machine.

Is your "GET / HTTP/1.1" request supposed to be taking over 60s?  60
seconds is the default (and IMHO very conservative) timeout for when
Unicorn decides to terminate a request.

0.8.1 should actually be considered production-ready.  It doesn't
support chunked transfer-encoding; but otherwise it's been running
fine for some internal APIs for quite a while now.

> thank you for your efforts in this great project and all the best

Thanks for giving it a shot!