Why "--pid" is deprecated?

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Dec 24 08:36:26 EST 2009

By inspecting bin/unicorn I've realized that "--pid" file exists but it's
deprecated:

  opts.on("-P", "--pid FILE", "DEPRECATED") do |f|
    warn %q{Use of --pid/-P is strongly discouraged}
    warn %q{Use the 'pid' directive in the Unicorn config file instead}
    options[:pid] = f
  end

Could I know why? In order to build a service init script is really common the
init script to handle the PID file so it can start, restart or stop the
process runnining under that PID value.

Which is the real advantage of using "pid" directive in config file rather
than "--pid"?

Thanks.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>