[Mongrel-development] [ANN] Unicorn: UNIX+localhost/LAN-only Mongrel fork

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Mon Feb 16 18:39:04 EST 2009

Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is really cool. I'm going to play with this now and see how it
> works.

Hi Ezra, any news on your testing?

I've barely had a chance to work with it myself (I started writing this
email about 5 hours ago and got interrupted/distracted :x).

>From informal benchmarks on a purely CPU/memory-bound Sinatra app, when
simultaneous connections are less than nr_workers, Unicorn wins
slightly; however when there are more workers then the async I/O
buffering that Mongrel can do wins slightly over Unicorn.

Of course the app I tested with is atypical in that it:
  1) is completely thread-safe including all libraries used
  2) has no external dependencies outside of the machine it runs on
  3) has very uniform response times for all actions

Unicorn is of course designed for apps:
  1) with non-thread-safe dependencies
  2) that depend on (occasionally unreliable) external API calls
  3) where some actions taking measurably longer than others

Tests were run on a fairly unsaturated GigE LAN.

Eric Wong