[mocha-developer] Need some help in reducing my repetions in tests with Mocha

Jay Fields jay at jayfields.com
Sat May 3 08:49:00 EDT 2008

Hi Jon,

It's hard to give good advice because we are missing too many pieces
of information. For example, your test references both @base and
"good_response", neither of which are shown elsewhere. Also, without
your domain code it's hard to say what the best way to test it is.

But, not having enough information has never stopped me from giving my
opinion before...

I looks to me like you should create smaller methods, if not a few
more classes depending on how much is going on. For example, you want
to test that the token is in the parameters, so why not create a
method that returns the url. If you have a method that returns the
url, then you can test that method in isolation.

On my last project I used Net::HTTP, and I understand it can be a bit
of a tangled web, but I created a Gateway class that hid all the
complexity of Net::HTTP from my domain. The Gateway class also had
many small methods that I could test in isolation or as part of larger
tests. The small methods are helpful in the larger tests because you
can stub the methods you don't care about.

Cheers, Jay