[mocha-developer] using mocha with rspec

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:55:13 EDT 2007

On 3/13/07, Dan North <dan at tastapod.com> wrote:
> Yes you're right - it doesn't automagically verify, but the verify_mocks
> method is in scope and I like to have that explicitly in my spec methods
> anyway.
>
> The big things on my wishlist are:
>
> 1. Matchers in with(..) like JMock has:
> expects(:chew).with(is_a(Chewable), ANYTHING) where is_a(..) is a
> [something] that responds to matches?(actual) with true/false, and
> ANYTHING is a matcher that always returns true. That way, you could use
> rspec's expectation matcher framework or roll your own matchers. (I've
> got a bunch I wrote for my own mocking framework - everyone should write
> a mocking framework at least twice once :)
>
> The method matches?(actual) seems fairly universal across these frameworks.

rspec's mocking framework uses matcher.matches?(actual) and use
matcher.description to build the failure message. If you use these
methods, then rspec users will be able to use rspec's matchers (which
are usable for both mock expectations and state
expectations/assertions) within mocha expectations in rspec. In fact,
test/unit users would be able to use them as well - they'd just have
to get the rspec gem and require 'spec/matchers' (which doesn't depend
on any other parts of rspec).

Hope I'm not being too intrusive here. I'd really love to see the day
where rspec need not support its own mocking framework. Making mocha a
first class option within rspec is a big first step towards this goal.