[mocha-developer] Test errors without verification

James Mead jamesmead44 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 05:12:56 EDT 2007

Hi Zach,

On 26/07/07, Zach Moazeni <zach.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is by design, but I've stumbled across this a
> few times trying to debug my own tests. If an assertion fails the
> test, and a missing mock expectation was to blame, the test's
> failure / error messages don't give enough info.

This is by design. In my mind a verification failure is analogous to an
assertion failure. Test::Unit does not report multiple assertion failures
per test, but reports the first failure. Failing fast seems like the right
thing to do. At that point all bets are off and there is no point in

I wonder if the pain you are feeling is because you have too many assertions
and/or expectations in each test. You might find the following article

Thanks for taking the time to put a patch together, but at this stage I'm
not convinced it's the way to go.