[mocha-developer] slow tests on an established project...

Rob Sanheim rsanheim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 05:14:21 EST 2007

Hi all

Hope this isn't too far off-topic on this list, as I think it would
largely go ignored on the main rails list.

I'm looking for the most pragmatic way to speed up our test suite.
This is on an established project, and lets just say that we used way
too many fixtures when we started =).  For example:

Finished in 128.870144 seconds.

I've read many of the examples on many blogs and I don't see anything
that could be applied to legacy test cases that are testing across
many associations.  Or how to change functional tests to make it
possible to inject stubs instead of hitting the db.

Right now I'm thinking the only real options are going with test
groups based on speed, and/or trying to use mysql's in memory db for
testing.  Rewriting our tests from the ground up is definitely not an
option.  Sqlite3 seems to finicky to handle anything beyond a very
basic data model.  Tools I'm trying to incorporate include mocha,
spec/unit, and zentest (mainly for autotest, I don't use the view
testing stuff much).

thanks for any ideas or experiences!

- Rob