[mocha-developer] Mocking the rendering of a Rails template

Bryan Helmkamp bhelmkamp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 16:32:29 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm having difficulty setting up mocks such that I can verify that
Rails was going to render the right template file (for example
new.rhtml) and stop Rails from performing the actual rendering.

After peeking at Rails' internals, I tried two techniques as illustrated here:

Neither worked.

I think the first one failed because Rails doesn't setup
response.template to be an instance of ActionView::Base until after
the controller processing is called.

I have no idea what is going on with the second attempt.  It's hitting
a mock, but I have no idea where that mock is coming from.  Logically,
it probably is coming from the any_instance magic, but in that case it
should be expecting the render_file call.  Thoughts?

What am I doing wrong in the second case?  Is there another way I
could mock this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.MyCongress.org/ -- coming soon