[mocha-developer] did something in revision 68 break stubs?

James Mead jamesmead44 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 17:16:30 EDT 2006

On 12/10/06, Greg Borenstein <greg at virtuous.com> wrote:
> I've been a happy user of Mocha for a while now. My current project is
> by far the most complicated I've ever worked on and Mocha has made
> testing it much easier than it would otherwise be.
> So, I was highly disturbed to come in this morning, run svn up and find
> that something in today's update broke lots of my tests. I use Mocha as
> a Rails plugin under svn:externals and when I hit svn up, I was updated
> to revision 68. Then when I ran my morning's ritual full test run all
> the tests that call 'stubs' threw erros like this one:
>   7) Error:
> test_find_venue_id_returns_nil(UpcomingMessageTest):
> NoMethodError: undefined method `stubs' for
> #<UpcomingMessage:0x2a983cb2e0>
> /home/greg/projects/mercury/config/../vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/base.rb:1845:in
> `method_missing'
>     test/unit/upcoming_message_test.rb:116:in
> `test_find_venue_id_returns_nil'
> /home/greg/projects/mercury/config/../vendor/plugins/mocha/lib/mocha/test_case_adapter.rb:19:in
> `run'
> The problem seems to be occuring in lib/mocha/test_case_adapter.rb which
> was updated by revision 68.
> Wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem and if not where I
> should start to look in my code for the incompatibility. I've looked and
> looked to see if something I changed recenly  could possibly have caused
> this problem (even canceled posting to this list once because I thought
> I'd found it), but I can't see what I could be doing wrong.

I'm glad you've been finding Mocha useful. You were right about the bug - it
should be fixed in revision 70 (latest HEAD). Sorry.

I have to confess that I have been making relatively large changes to Mocha
recently in HEAD. I had forgotten that the default for Rails plugins with
svn:externals is to use HEAD - we use Piston (http://piston.rubyforge.org/)
to have more control over plugin versions and so hadn't noticed the bug.

The bug was a typo in a require statement. Mocha's tests were passing
because other tests had already loaded the missing file. I've been meaning
to add a mini Rails project to test the plugin more extensively - I guess I
should make it a higher priority!

I hope that helps.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mocha-developer/attachments/20061012/e47fcce1/attachment.html 

More information about the mocha-developer mailing list