[mocha-developer] stubbing in development environment

Jason Watkins jason at jasonwatkins.net
Wed Nov 22 05:38:45 EST 2006

Sure. Let's say I have some ruby objects that do i/o with a
distributed system. In the development environment the remote system
isn't available. That gives me two conventional choices:

1.) use a configuration boolean set somewhere to early out
2.) parameterize the constructor to use dependency injection of a mock

Using stubba to override the object directly could be seen as a more
implicit version of #2.

While I understand various folks might object to it on all manner of
philosophical grounds, it's something I'd like to be able to do from
time to time.