[Masterview-users] [ANN] MasterView rails-optimized (x)html friendly template engine plugin - Release 0.2.0
jeff.barczewski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 16:38:34 EDT 2006
MasterView rails-optimized (x)HTML friendly template engine plugin - Release
The MasterView development team is pleased to announce the general
availability of MasterView release 0.2.0. MasterView is a rails-optimized
(x)html friendly template engine plugin that provides another option to the
existing rails view templates (rhtml and rxml). The main idea is to provide
a template engine that would provide all the power of layouts, partials, and
rails helpers but still be editable/styleable in a WYSIWYG editor. It was
also a major goal that the syntax of these attribute directives be very
similar to rails helpers so that one could intuitively start using
MasterView with little learning curve other than knowing rails. MasterView
was inspired by Amrita, Kwartz, Tapestry, Zope/PHP TAL, Liquid, and Web
Objects but designed with a fresh approach and specifically targetted for
Allow your web designers to work on the design while the developers focus on
coding. To get you up and running quickly the MasterView generator creates
usable styleable templates (along with controller and models) that can be
easily customized to your needs. Or start straight from your html prototype
and add MasterView attribute directives directly to those files. You can
re-edit those same template files at any time in your development life cycle
to update html layout and style.
This project was launched in January of 2006. Building on the suggestions of
early users, the MasterView project has been enhanced for better team usage
and for easier configuration/upgrading. The original release generated a
single master file for all actions, but this has been changed to generate
separate files for each action and each template simply imports the other
supporting layouts and partials needed to provide full WYSIWYG design
capabilities in each file. A synchronizing (rebuilding) mechanism has been
created to automatically be able to sync up the imports so that designers
are always working with a consistent view. The single file generation
mechanism is still available as an option.
MasterView directives were designed to be user extended so that additional
directives could be loaded and shared amongst the community, providing
infinitely extendable options. Custom directives could be designed to wrap
complex layout and view code into a very simple declaration in your view.
For instance directives could be created that ajaxify tables so that they
support sorting, ajax updates, and gracefully degradation without
repetitive view code.
A quick start video which demos the basic operation is available at
MasterView is released under MIT open source licensing.
Main site: http://masterview.org/
Rubyforge Project site: http://rubyforge.org/projects/masterview
- Create/extend a template engine for rails that would be XHTML
friendly and thus could be edited/styled with a WYSIWYG HTML editor even
late in development without breaking template.
- Keep it simple. DRY. No extra config files, simple syntax with ruby
- Design it specifically for ruby and rails. Use the full power and
not be limited in its capabilities over what can be done with ERb (rhtml)
- Work nicely with layouts, partials, and rails html helpers.
- Reduce complexity, work with existing rails code, no extra view
logic or hashes than what is used by ERb (rhtml). Scaffold generate initial
templates or work from existing html prototype. Make scaffolds nicely styled
and easily useable for production with minor changes.
- Reduce the numbers of files, simplifying editing. Define partials
and layouts naturallyl right in the template, no need to go to another file.
- Preview in browser without running an app. Allow for dummy data in
the template so that the page can be viewed and styled independently of the
- Performance equal to ERb (rhtml)
- Ability to easily utilize multiple template files for a controller
making it easier to work together as a team on files and to keep file sizes
- Added capability for eliminating rhthml generation, extends rails so
that rhtml can be pulled directly from MasterView (rhtml file generation now
- Rails like configuration system which provides a clean way to
- MasterView admin pages for working with templates and viewing
- Rake utilities to provide command line capabilities equal to those
in MasterView admin pages.
- Configuration and documentation cleanup.
- Keyword expansions for generate and import directives.
- Support for configuring MasterView logger and log_level
Installation - several options (gem install or plugin install)
- As a gem - gem install masterview_gem_pack; cd railsapp;
- As a pure plugin using plugin install - script/plugin install
- As a pure plugin download from rubyforge - download
masterview-x.x.x.tgz or .zip and extract to
Visit the online documentation page at http://masterview.org/ for complete
installation and usage information.
We would love to hear your feedback and ideas around this project! Visit the
rubyforge project <http://rubyforge.org/projects/masterview> to join the
users mailing list or to add yourself to the announce list to receive future
announcements. Check out the
MasterView in action!
Thanks for your time!!
MasterView Development Team
Jeff Barczewski and Deb Lewis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Masterview-users