[Rant] Rant 0.4.8 released
langstefan at gmx.at
Mon Oct 31 14:35:15 EST 2005
== What's new in this release?
* The filenames Rantfile.rb and rantfile.rb which
were deprecated since the last release aren't recognized anymore.
Use Rantfile, rantfile or root.rant instead.
* The two undocumented Array methods ary.arglist and
ary.shell_pathes are deprecated. Use sys.sp(ary)
in Rantfiles instead.
* rant-import -v option. Use -V or --version instead.
Fixes and minor improvements:
* Fix output of rant -T for descriptions with more than two lines.
* Filelists: Same handling of files starting with a dot with all
supported ruby versions (1.8.0 - 1.9).
* The sys.ruby method uses an absolute path to start the Ruby
interpreter. Thus sys.ruby also works if ruby is not on the
* Fix for latest ruby 1.9, which renamed +fcall+ to +funcall+.
* A fix for ruby 1.8.4 preview1 regarding sys methods visibility.
* rant-import supports --zip (-z) option for zip-compression now.
* Tasks with command change recognition.
* Improved rule support.
I have also written an Rant/Rake comparison. It's available under
== Installing Rant
You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
% gem install --remote rant
or download the package from
and install with install.rb:
% ruby install.rb
== Example Rantfile
var :CFLAGS => "-g -O2" # can be overridden from commandline
gen Command, "foo", ["foo.o", "util.o"],
"cc $[CFLAGS] -o $(name) $(prerequisites)"
The last two lines tell Rant, that the file foo depends on the files
foo.o and util.o and that foo can be built by running the command in
the last line ("cc …") in a subshell. If at least one of the
following three conditions is met, foo will be rebuilt:
1. foo doesn’t exist.
2. foo.o or util.o changed since the last build of foo.
3. The command (most probably CFLAGS) changed since the last build
Homepage:: visit http://make.ruby-co.de
Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/
More information about the make-cafe