[Mailr] Causing mailr to use LOGIN command instead of AUTHENTICATE?

Michael Smith smith at xml-doc.org
Mon Dec 12 06:46:54 EST 2005

Hi Luben,

You wrote:

> It is possible to cause mailr to send a "login" command now. Could you
> please update to revision 144 and add the following line to your
> config/site.rb file:
> :imap_auth => 'NOAUTH'

Thanks! I should have checked for replies before sending out my
toggle authentication off is definitely better than my suggestion
of checking for an empty-string value for imap_auth.

> It would be better if we could use "capability" command to find whether
> the server supports "authenticate",

Yeah, I was also thinking that would probably be good.

> but unfortunately on my installation of Courier IMAP the
> "capability" command does not return "AUTH=LOGIN" or
> "AUTH=PLAIN" although the server supports them.

Which is why I guess it's always a good idea to give users an
option for forcing the simplest behavior (in this case, the change
you've just added for causing a direct "login" instead of

Thanks again for the fix and for the quick response.