[libxml-devel] [ANN] nokogiri 1.0.0 Released

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Wed Nov 19 03:41:15 EST 2008

Hi Aaron,

> nokogiri version 1.0.0 has been released!
>
> * <http://nokogiri.rubyforge.org/>
> * <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/wikis>
> * <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/master>
>
> Nokogiri (鋸) is an HTML, XML, SAX, and Reader parser with XPath and CSS
> selector support.

So I finally had a chance to take a quick look at Nokogiri, and
discovered its another wrapper around libxml.

So the obvious question is why didn't you build off the libxml-ruby
bindings?   And then the next obvious question, would it be better to
combine efforts?  Seems to me that would be much preferable.

> ### FEATURES:
>
> * XPath support for document searching
> * CSS3 selector support for document searching
> * XML/HTML builder
> * Drop in replacement for Hpricot

I just integrated a patch for adding Hpricot like api to libxml, and
would be really interested in adding in CSS3 selector support (I took a
quick look through the Nokogiri code for this, and would be happy to
port it over to libxml lock-stock-and-barrel if that's ok with you).

So we're happy to work together on our end.

Charlie