[kramdown-users] Syntax for specifying code highlighting language | Github flavored code blocks style

Lou Quillio quillio at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 04:12:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Thomas Leitner <t_leitner at gmx.at> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies!
>
> I will do the following:
>
> * Not implement Github style fenced code blocks for the time being

Works. I had thought you were implying, originally, that there might
be a promotional benefit for kramdown by adding this alternate syntax,
if a bunch of githubbers were using it, etc. If not, leave it out --
but I think it would be safe to add if there were a good reason. Don't
need it myself.

> * Implement support for setting the syntax highlighting language on the
>   delimiter line of fenced code blocks

Cleaner. Often, the only IALs in my documents are on [fenced] code
blocks, so something a little more elegant is welcome.

> * use class 'language-CODELANG' instead of 'lang' attr for highlighting
>   language (a backwards incompatible change)

Good call. If 'lang' collides a little now, it may worsen. A little
pain now (worst case is a broken syntax-highlighting hook, not
outright broken code-block markup) is better than much pain later.
'language-CODELANG' is safely discrete, and you likely won't have to
revisit this.

LQ

--
Lou Quillio