[kramdown-users] Proposal: new option for disabling smart quotes/typography parsers

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Fri Mar 4 10:01:45 EST 2011

Hello everybody,

there is a feature request for an option to exclude arbitrary
span/block parsers from the kramdown parser, see [1]. I don't think
that this would be a good idea.

However, the reason why Justin wants this option is to disable the
smart quotes/typography parsers so that RubyPants/typogruby and
kramdown work better together. Since the smart quotes/typography
parsers are partly based on RubyPants anyway and they don't interfere
with other span parsers, I think it would be okay to provide an option
for disabling them. We could call the option
"parse_typographic_symbols" with a default value of true.

What do you think?

Best regards,
  Thomas

[1]: http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=28992&group_id=7403&atid=28676