[kramdown-users] Feature Request: LaTeX Support in kramdown

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Fri Jan 28 12:54:46 EST 2011

On 2011-01-27 18:19 +0100 Damien Pollet wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 16:06, Thomas Leitner <t_leitner at gmx.at>
> wrote:
> > Generating images from LaTeX code is certainly possible. However, I
> > don't think that users expect that a simple document may generate
> > more than one output file...
>
> Well, a webpage can be viewed as a document but is rarely just a
> single file, if you count the css and so on.

You are right but *kramdown* does only generate one output file! All
other files have to be created by the user.

> > If you want something more complicated than the conversion of markup
> > text to the HTML equivalent, you should probably use a static
> > website generator like [webgen][1]. Such a program allows you to
> > combine the features of kramdown with arbitrary other processors.
> > For example, webgen has a processor to generate TikZ pictures from
> > a description inside a kramdown document.
>
> Yes of course, that's the use-case I'm thinking about. There is some
> feature overlap between kramdown alone for a single page and webgen
> obviously, so I was wondering what's needed to ease integration; maybe
> just a generic way to syntactically escape from markdown.

Escaping from markdown can be done with `{::nomarkdown}...{:/}` in
kramdown. So this is already possible.

Regarding webgen: I'm currently in the process of implementing the next
major webgen version and I will make it still easier to extend or
override webgen's functionality. So if you have any ideas/requests,
don't hesitate to write a mail to the <email:webgen-users at rubyforge.org>
mailing list!