[kramdown-users] Feature Request: LaTeX Support in kramdown

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Thu Jan 27 10:06:00 EST 2011

On 2011-01-27 12:59 +0100 Damien Pollet wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:28, Thomas Leitner <t_leitner at gmx.at>
> wrote:
> > I don't think that supporting LaTeX commands directly in kramdown
> > is a good idea. The Markdown syntax is relatively easy to
> > understand for newcomers, LaTeX syntax is not. And most user would
> > be surprised when they see the resulting output. Another thing:
> > what should be done with LaTeX commands when converting a document
> > to HTML? Leave them out?
> Actually I'd love support for LaTeX blocks. In HTML they could be
> rendered to images or small PDF files displayed inline. That would be
> useful for scientific web pages that need complicated
> notations/equations, or just LaTeX examples, but I agree, this is more
> general than maths support; ideally that should allow for other
> external processors, e.g. graphviz

Generating images from LaTeX code is certainly possible. However, I
don't think that users expect that a simple document may generate more
than one output file...

If you want something more complicated than the conversion of markup
text to the HTML equivalent, you should probably use a static website
generator like [webgen][1]. Such a program allows you to combine the
features of kramdown with arbitrary other processors. For example,
webgen has a processor to generate TikZ pictures from a description
inside a kramdown document.