[kramdown-users] Feature Request: LaTeX Support in kramdown

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Thu Jan 27 05:28:17 EST 2011

On 2011-01-24 23:35 +0100 Alex Wall wrote:
> It would be nice if kramdown could handle markdown files more like
> pandoc. In pandoc it is possible to mix markdown and LaTeX as you
> like without any escape characters/sequences.
>
> This gives you the simplicity of markdown and the power of LaTeX when
> you really need it.

The reason why math support is done via LaTeX commands is that this is
supported by the HTML (via MathJax) and LaTeX converters. I'm sure that
if we add other converters there is a high probability that a solution
for converting LaTeX math commands to the specific output format is
available.

I don't think that supporting LaTeX commands directly in kramdown is a
good idea. The Markdown syntax is relatively easy to understand for
newcomers, LaTeX syntax is not. And most user would be surprised when
they see the resulting output. Another thing: what should be done with
LaTeX commands when converting a document to HTML? Leave them out?

If you really want to intersperse LaTeX commands with normal kramdown
syntax, I recommend using the `nomarkdown` extension!

Best regards,
  Thomas