[kramdown-users] Proposal: new option for disabling smart quotes/typography parsers

Jack Senechal jacksenechal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 23:09:48 EDT 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 7:01 AM, Thomas Leitner wrote:

> there is a feature request for an option to exclude arbitrary
> span/block parsers from the kramdown parser, see [1]. I don't think
> that this would be a good idea.
> However, the reason why Justin wants this option is to disable the
> smart quotes/typography parsers so that RubyPants/typogruby and
> kramdown work better together. Since the smart quotes/typography
> parsers are partly based on RubyPants anyway and they don't interfere
> with other span parsers, I think it would be okay to provide an option
> for disabling them. We could call the option
> "parse_typographic_symbols" with a default value of true.
> What do you think?
> Best regards,
>  Thomas

I just joined the list to discuss this particular topic, so I'm glad
to see it's already been broached. I would very much like to see an
option to disable smart quotes. I don't mind the other typographic
symbol replacements, but it would probably be good to have an option
on that as well.

IMHO, smart quotes are pure evil. I think they make things harder to
read, etc. This is mostly personal opinion, but there are times when
it could be critical to preserve the regular quotes if the user
intends to use those. For instance where one is trying to distinguish
between a back tick and a single quote. I can see similar scenarios
for ... , -- , etc.

The spirit of Markdown and its variants, as I understand it, is to
provide a simple and elegant extension to plain text--one which
interferes with the content minimally wherever possible and generally
feels "light". If there's an option to disable features that can be
potentially "invasive", then it's all good. Without that though, it
starts to feel a little too much like MS Word (shudder).

Just my 2 cents... Thanks for listening :)