[kramdown-users] RFC: Lazy syntax for paragraphs, blockquotes and lists

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Fri Sep 3 12:15:39 EDT 2010

> First, the setup.  Someone sends an email that gets wrapped like this:
>
> This is a long line of text that gets wrapped in email at 72
> characters, and here is the second part of that line, which also gets
> wrapped at the same length and then stops here.
>
> Someone replies and blockquotes that line, which lengthens the
> lines.  However, their email client wraps at 78 characters, so no
> additional wrapping occurs:
>
> > This is a long line of text that gets wrapped in email at 72
> > characters, and here is the second part of that line, which also
> > gets wrapped at the same length and then stops here.
>
> The first person replies, lengthening the lines again.  They get
> wrapped at 72 characters, and this happens:
>
> > > This is a long line of text that gets wrapped in email at 72
> characters,
> > > and here is the second part of that line, which also gets wrapped
> > > at
> the
> > > same length and then stops here.
>
> Despite the jagged syntax, this should semantically be a blockquote
> inside a blockquote.  Based on the "must end blockquote with blank
> line" rule, would kramdown interpret it that way?

Yes, it will be interpreted like you said because the original text
will be "internally transformed" like this:

    > > This is a long line of text that gets wrapped in email at 72
    characters,
    > > and here is the second part of that line, which also gets
    wrapped at the
    > > same length and then stops here.

    > > This is a long line of text that gets wrapped in email at 72
    > characters,
    > > and here is the second part of that line, which also gets
    > wrapped at the
    > > same length and then stops here.

    > > This is a long line of text that gets wrapped in email at 72
    > > characters,
    > > and here is the second part of that line, which also gets
    > > wrapped at the
    > > same length and then stops here.

> The second person replies again:

> > characters,
> > the
>
> Will kramdown treat that as a blockquote inside a blockquote inside a
> blockquote?

Yes, same rule as before.

-- Thomas

ps. Please don't include the parts of the quoted post which you don't
use in your reply (in the case of your last email, just leave out the
quoted post from the bottom of your post) - this just makes it harder to
read your post. It's customary to quote some text from a post and reply
to it directly below as I have done with your post.