Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Mon Oct 18 04:49:18 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-18 00:10 +0700 Shawn Van Ittersum wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:04:14 +0200, Thomas Leitner wrote:
> > However, if
> > you view the output in a browser you will see that whitespace
> > normalization is applied to the `<code>` element (multiple
> > whitespace characters are compressed into one space character).
> This brings up another question: will Kramdown leave code indentation
> intact in code blocks?  (I'm pretty sure it does, from my own
> experience.)  What about multiple spaces in the middle of a line?  It
> would be strange if code indentation or comment alignment was lost in
> parsing a code block.

Yes, kramdown does not alter indentation in code blocks (aside from
stripping the first four spaces or one tab from the code block since
this is just the syntax part of the code block) nor the spaces in the
middle of a line.
> Does kramdown treat code spans different than code blocks, with
> regard to spaces?

No, but if you use multiple backticks for a code span, the first and
last space are removed. E.g.

    ``  test  ``