Shawn Van Ittersum svicalifornia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:21:12 EDT 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:08:55 +0200, Thomas Leitner wrote:
> Please try some examples with PHP Markdown Extra, you will find numerous
> cases where it does something odd, for example:
>
>     table `||` test
>     - | -
>     table | som` test
>
> The first line does contain a pipe but in a code span. So it should
> probably not start a table (as defined in
> http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/extra/#table). However, it
> does start a table!

We should we do what's right, not copy the mistakes of some other implementation, especially one written in PHP. :)

> I agree. And we basically only have the problem with the current syntax
> because the content of code spans is not processed by kramdown.

It's not really a matter of *processing* the contents of code spans, but (1) recognizing code spans as a human would, and then (2) *sheltering* their contents to prevent kramdown processing.