Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Wed Oct 13 04:15:15 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-12 11:27 -0700 Matt Neuburg wrote:
> >    Of course, you`re good | You are not so good | You`re bad!!!
> >
> > Can you definitely say that these are *not* table lines?
> I can (or at least, I could until Sept. 24): They don't begin with a
> pipe character so they are not table lines!
> In other words, the problem is simply that the rule introduced on
> Sept. 24 violates the basic nature of blocks in Markdown / kramdown,
> which is that a block is identified by how the line starts.

The above rule is true for most block level elements but not all, for
example, setext headers are defined differently.
> It is not clear to me what problem the Sept. 24 change is meant to
> solve, but perhaps that problem could be solved some other way that
> *does* involve a pipe a character at the start of the line.

The change was introduced so that the kramdown syntax is more
compatible to PHP Markdown Extra/Maruku and how they parse tables.
Since PHP Markdown Extra allows one to omit the leading pipe, I changed
the table syntax to also use an optional instead of a mandatory leading

> Or, as I requested before, give me a way to "opt out" of this way of
> doing things - a way to switch the rule off myself so that I don't
> have to worry about it. I'm already using an option when I call
> kramdown (:numeric) and I'm perfectly happy to use additional
> options. I'd be glad to say :tables => :simpleminded or whatever you
> like to call this. :)
> What I *don't* want to have to do is look for all my pipe characters
> and escape them.

As I said before (and as Shawn said regarding backticks), I think the
pipe characters aren't used that often in documents. And therefore I
don't think we need such an option.