Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Wed Oct 13 04:08:55 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-13 05:44 +1100 Shawn Van Ittersum wrote:
> Giving pipe characters the ability to delimit table-cells mid-line as
> in PHP Markdown Extra is okay, but let's not give pipes so much power
> that than they can break up code spans.  That's going way too far.
> Code spans (backticks) should take precedence.

Please try some examples with PHP Markdown Extra, you will find numerous
cases where it does something odd, for example:

    table `||` test
    - | -
    table | som` test

The first line does contain a pipe but in a code span. So it should
probably not start a table (as defined in
http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/extra/#table). However, it
does start a table!

> As for backtick ambiguity, it's rare to see backticks in text when
> code spans aren't desired.  Any backticks that aren't meant to start
> a code span should be properly escaped with backslashes.

I agree. And we basically only have the problem with the current syntax
because the content of code spans is not processed by kramdown.