Shawn Van Ittersum svicalifornia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:44:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:27:07 -0700, Matt Neuburg wrote:
> What I *don't* want to have to do is look for all my pipe characters and
> escape them.

Agreed.  Especially when those pipe characters are already inside code spans (backticks) and, as such, should already be ignored.

Giving pipe characters the ability to delimit table-cells mid-line as in PHP Markdown Extra is okay, but let's not give pipes so much power that than they can break up code spans.  That's going way too far.  Code spans (backticks) should take precedence.

As for backtick ambiguity, it's rare to see backticks in text when code spans aren't desired.  Any backticks that aren't meant to start a code span should be properly escaped with backslashes.