Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Tue Oct 12 03:27:12 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-12 05:47 +1100 Shawn Van Ittersum wrote:

> >     This is an <span title="some ` title">element `codespan`</span>
> >
> > The regexp will destroy the HTML `span` element and the code span it
> > contains.
>
> True, but is that legal kramdown?  Shouldn't the backtick in the
> title attribute be escaped?

Why shouldn't it be legal in kramdown? Backticks aren't special
characters in HTML and therefore valid in attribute values. The above
example works fine in kramdown.

> > It also probably won't work correctly for code spans using multiple
> > backticks (which is allowed by standard Markdown):
> >
> >     This is a `` ` `` code span and a literal ` backtick.
>
> Hmm, that's true.
>
> My main thought for this thread is that the pipe characters in Matt's
> original example should not have been interpreted as table
> delimiters.  They shouldn't need to be escaped, as they were already
> in a code span.

Yes, I know. However, it is hard to recognize the code span without
actually parsing the line with the span level parser which is what I
tried to avoid. But since escaping the pipe in the code span obviously
also doesn't work as expected, I will have to find another solution
which probably will include the use of the span level parser.