Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Mon Oct 11 04:03:05 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-10 22:18 -0700 Matt Neuburg wrote:
> Presumably, that is what used to happen, since I've had that line in
> my page for months and many versions of kramdown. This behavior is
> evidently new with this version of kramdown. (I'm sorry I can't be
> more specific to say what I mean by "this version", but the previous
> two versions that I was using were both called 0.11.0 and so is this
> one, even though they are all three quite different from each other.)

Please don't state that there are multiple different versions of
kramdown with a version number of 0.11.0 when there is in fact only
one! If you clone the kramdown repository after the release of 0.10.0
and before the release of 0.11.0, you certainly don't have version
0.11.0 of kramdown *even* if the version number has already been bumped
to 0.11.0 in the repository. You just used *unreleased* code and that's
about it. How you refer to the unreleased code is up to you - I
recommend using the commit hash because then everyone knows about what
code state you are talking about.

> The docs do say, in fact, "Note that literal pipe characters need to
> be escaped, even if they occur in code spans!" Now, maybe that was
> never there before - if it was there, I never noticed it. But in fact
> I could not find any way of escaping these pipe characters so as to
> solve the problem. I mean, look, there are only three possibilities:
> escape the first, escape the second, and escape both. But none of
> those prevents the problem. m.

As stated in the other mail, this text extract has been in the syntax
documentation for the table syntax even before the 0.11.0 version! And
escaping the pipes does work to prevent kramdown from treating the text
as table.

However, I have just seen that this introduces a bug (the pipes remain
escaped although they shouldn't) when the line is not treated as a table
line - will have to fix this.