[kramdown-users] Towards the one-oh-oh

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Thu May 6 01:19:58 EDT 2010

> By the way, I've been using a very good HTML-to-PDF library called
> "dompdf" written in pure PHP.  I have been thinking about porting it
> to Ruby.  If anyone is interested in that (as contributor or user),
> or can suggest alternatives, please let me know.

dompdf looks interesting. From what I have seen it uses pdflib or
another PDF generation library in the background for actually creating
the PDF - this would be the part that prawn is made for.

However, what I would like to do in the kramdown-to-PDF conversion is
to not take the route over HTML but go straight from the internal tree
to a PDF document. Since HTML rendering is *very* hard to get right and
for getting good visuals you would basically need an HTML layout
engine, I think the best way for converting HTML to PDF is via a library
that uses webkit or gecko internally. But this is just my personal
opinion...