[kramdown-users] Towards the one-oh-oh

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Wed May 5 14:08:28 EDT 2010

On or about 5/5/10 8:08 AM, thus spake "Thomas Leitner" <t_leitner at gmx.at>:

> So I would like to know from you if there is anything missing from
> kramdown, either syntax-wise or feature-wise, what you would like to
> see in the 1.0.0 release!

I know there isn't much hope, as I got a very chilly reception on the
previous occasion, but I will just repeat my requests, one last time:

* I'd like to see the SmartyPants functionality (turning straight quotes
into curly quotes) optionally separated off (just as Markdown and
SmartyPants are two different things).

* I'd like a way to tell the parser to stay out of certain constructs that
could be easily specified as a regex, such as ERB directives <%...%>.

As I explained before, this is because I'm the author of a Web site
generation framework (RubyFrontier) that works very differently from webgen.
In RubyFrontier, Web page material is processed in a certain order and
manner and there are certain moments at which it turns to the user for
callbacks. At present I'm using Markdown and SmartyPants in most of my
sites, calling each at a certain callback point in the process. It would be
nice to be able to replace those calls with kramdown calls (partly out of a
desire for pure Ruby, partly because kramdown syntax is so much better than
Markdown syntax for certain edge cases like nested lists), but I can't do it
unless the above two requests are met.

As a compromise, I've introduced an additional callback point in the latest
version of RubyFrontier, where kramdown can be called, as is, pretty well;
but it doesn't work for all cases. If kramdown behaved as I've requested, I
could just switch to it and be in 7th heaven. I feel that I've taken a step
towards kramdown and I wish kramdown would take a step towards me.

m.

http://www.tidbits.com/matt/default.html#applescriptthings
http://tinyurl.com/kufyy8