[kramdown-users] feature request - separate out SmartyPants functionality

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Sun Mar 28 18:38:42 EDT 2010

kramdown isn't just Markdown; it's Markdown plus SmartyPants. Unfortunately,
this is causing trouble for my Web site-building framework (RubyFrontier -
see URL below for more information). With Markdown, I am able to apply
Markdown at an early stage, when a page is partially built, and then finish
the process by applying SmartyPants when the page is completely built.

What I'd like is an option that turns off SmartyPants functionality, and
another option that turn on *only* SmartyPants functionality. That way, I
could apply kramdown twice - once early in the process, without SmartyPants
functionality, and then again at the end of the process, with only
SmartyPants functionality.

I have a sort of workaround but it is raising more difficulties than it
solves. The real problem is just that kramdown is doing too much. I really
want to switch from using Markdown to using kramdown but this is a
troublesome issue. m.