[kramdown-users] using kramdown in xhtml

Shawn Van Ittersum svicalifornia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 15:29:30 EDT 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:15:12 -0700, Matt Neuburg wrote:
> Ouch! :) So I take it that iconv doesn't count as string encoding support?
> Oh, wait - you mean that you can't count on kramdown *itself* (i.e. literal
> strings in the kramdown file) being interpreted properly with respect to
> encoding. TextMate will interpret Ruby files as UTF-8; that's what I use, so
> I'm used to that, and I rely on the assumption that that's what I *will*
> use. But someone might run kramdown in some other milieu. I never thought of
> that. :)))

TextMate's handling of text allows you to save UTF data, but Ruby 1.8 is not aware of UTF or any other encodings.  Ruby 1.8 can still use the data, but as strings of bytes, not UTF characters.  Operations on UTF strings may return strange results because Ruby 1.8 doesn't know how to handle UTF properly.  See this for more info:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/bytes_and_characters_in_ruby_18