[kramdown-users] LaTeX Footnote inside of emphasized text

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Sun Jul 18 06:41:10 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-17 17:12 +0200 Michael Franzl wrote:
> I think I've found a bug. Kramdown source:
>
>      This is *bold text[^note] with a footnote*.
>
>      [^note]: A footnote.
>
> Translates into
>
>      This is \emph{bold text\footnote{A footnote.
>
>      } with a footnote}.
>
> LaTeX doesn't allow a new paragraph within `emph` and similar
> commands. It outputs the error: "Runaway argument? ! Paragraph ended
> before \text at command was complete."
>
> Removing the line feeds solves the problem.

The problem seems to be a bit more involved, actually, since the
currently used method is only valid for single paragraph footnotes...
Another way would be to use \footnotemark and \footnotetext which won't
have these problems. However, I have to play with these command some
more because there doesn't seem to be an easy way of having multiple
\footnotemark commands in one paragraph...

The only other solution would be to output only those footnotes in the
LaTeX converter that contain a single paragraph.