[kramdown-users] Zcaron/zcaron not valid HTML references

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Fri Jul 9 02:32:29 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-07 23:39 +1000 Shawn Van Ittersum wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 13:57:45 +0200, Thomas Leitner wrote:
> > The internal representation could easily be augmented but I don't
> > know if this is really useful - is there a use case where
> > `ž` is "better" than `ž`?
> Rather than ask whether such a use case exists -- which perhaps we
> won't know until it is encountered -- we should ask why kramdown is
> doing this conversion.  These entities are specific representations
> of content, and it doesn't seem right that kramdown should change
> them or translate them to different forms without explicit
> configuration to do so.

Okay, then let's finish this thread by introducing a new option in
kramdown, named `entity_output` (anyone having a better name for this
option?), which can have the following values:

  : Output the entities as found in the input

  : Always output entities in decimal numeric form

  : Output entities using the symbol if available, else in decimal
    numeric fom

  : Only available under Ruby 1.9: output the entity as character if
    possible, else output the same as with `as_input` (this is the

This new option replaces the `numeric_entities` option which is
deprecated from now on and will be removed in a future release. I have
pushed the latest changes to github.